Sunday, July 15, 2012

Drew Estate Liga Privada Unico Feral Flying Pig Cigar

The problem with scoring a hard-to-find super-stick like this Liga Privada Unico Feral Flying Pig (generally just called 'Feral Pig' or even just, as the label says, 'Feral', amongst devotees) is that once you've fallen in love with its life-changing properties, you're marooned and adrift without it once it's gone. Like a fisherman who measures all subsequent fish against the one that got away.

After @dabyrdman33 tweeted an instagram pic and inspired me to go on the hunt for this rare and elusive plump prize, I surprised myself by actually finding a cache of them within a few hours. They were languishing on a shelf in a mediocre tobacco shop that will go unnamed here, partially because I don't care to promote them and partially because I haven't bought out their stock of Ferals yet.

I'm too synesthesic to properly do cigar-speak, but let's just say it was uniquely earthy and chocolately and meaty. Drew Estate has always had a strange power to create cigars that make you almost feel you could eat them, like bacon, and this pig exemplifies that. It drew amazingly easy, and gave off lots of thick smoke with a tasty room note that others around me commented on (and they're not often the type to say "hey, that cigar smells really good, what is that?" ) I've read some reviews that describe the final third of it taking on a very different quality, but mine was consistent throughout, and worth every penny of the fifteen smackers. And it was already bad enough that Undercrown (another Drew Estate line) has kept a $9-a-day monkey on my back this summer. Buy my new book so I can keep up the pace!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! The Undercrowns have been bleeding me all summer as well. I'm holding my last two boxes of FFP's until I can secure enough money to get more. With all of the good cigars on the market, that has become increasingly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! The Undercrowns have been bleeding me all summer as well. I'm holding my last two boxes of FFP's until I can secure enough money to get more. With all of the good cigars on the market, that has become increasingly difficult.

    ReplyDelete