Thursday, February 16, 2012

Drew Estate Undercrown


Jeff at Riverside Cigars hipped me to this cigar today, and wow, am I glad he did; it's an instant new fave.

I was surprised at first how mild and sweet it was; I was expecting something spicier. But the flavor and the boldness builds gradually, and just keeps getting better and better. By the halfway point, I thought I'd experienced it fully, but man, that last third was even better, and took on an even deeper cedar quality by the very end. Did I say mild before? No way. Undercrown's a powerful thing to behold, and I'll be returning soon to Riverside to get more.

The cigar went out on me about 2/3 of the way through and I had to relight, but it's just one of those things that sometimes happens - the cigar was definitely not rolled too tightly. It had a very meaty body, drew very easily throughout, and put out crazy amounts of smoke freely. Had a perfect even burnline till the relight, and subsequently had a somewhat concave burn, probably more my fault than the cigar's. (I also had a fully intact ash up to that point.)

It was about a two-hour smoke, and was paired with a Stone IPA in the red room at FABD Crescent Hill. (The drink you see in the photo is a Dogfish Head 90 min IPA I had at Four Pegs - I was just sniffing the stogie dreamily at that point and saved it till the end of the evening!)

No comments:

Post a Comment