Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Venus


Last night, I was surprised by this crazy ultra-bright light in the sky that seemed too piercingly bright to be a star, a plane, or Venus (click to enlarge) and was far, far brighter to the eye than this photo shows.

It's one of those things that can't really be adequately explained in language or photography, but something about the frequency of the light seemed different, and gave the impression that whatever it was, it was very, very close. There were many stars in the sky, but notice they don't appear in the photo, drowned out by the light pollution of the park lamppost. (Those really tiny dots are dust on my lens - I need to clean it!)

For a while I was starting to think I'd photographed something special. But nope. I checked the star charts when I got home, and sure enough, it *was* Venus. Atmospheric conditions must have been just right for it to be powerfully, unusually bright, even for Venus.

No comments:

Post a Comment